Curtis Dane

Curtis Elmer Dane

Wednesday, October 6th, 1937 - Monday, May 11th, 2020
Recommend this to your friends.
Share via:

Sign in to the Family Interactive Login

The Family Interactive feature enhances An Amazing Life. Authorized family members can securely access their loved one's memorial website settings at any time.

Share Book of Memories with a Friend

Please enter the name and email details so that we can send your friend a link to the online tribute. No names or addresses will be collected by using this service.

Email Sent

Your email has been sent.

To share your memory on the wall of Curtis Dane, sign in using one of the following options:

Sign in with Facebook


Sign in with your email address

Your condolence has been submitted for approval. There may be a delay before posting.

Provide comfort for the family by sending flowers or planting a tree in memory of Curtis Dane

No Thanks

Contact Funeral Home

Please enter your question or comment below:

Email Sent

Your email has been sent.

Curtis's Tribute Fund

  •  Full Name
  •  Initials
  •  Anonymous
By continuing, you agree with the terms and privacy policy.

Curtis's Tribute Fund

There may be a delay while processing. Please do not click the back button or refresh while a payment is processing.
Send Flowers
Guaranteed hand delivery by a local florist


Curtis Elmer Dane was born October 6, 1937, in Weatherford, Texas, to parents Burlie and Winona Dane. A small Texas town in the 1930’s and 1940’s, at the edge of the West, probably a little rough and tumble, Weatherford was in some ways a wonderful place to grow up as a Texas boy.

He attended school in Weatherford, graduating from Weatherford High School in May of 1956. Later that year, on December 24, 1956, he married Miss Martha Ann Simms, his high school sweetheart. That’s what people mostly did back then.

For a time, he worked for Montgomery Ward at the main store, warehouse and distribution center on West 7th St. in Fort Worth, Texas. That building, now called Montgomery Plaza, has since been converted to a large scale mixed residential, retail and restaurant development. As he recalled, it was not nearly such a nice place when he worked there.

Curtis was a United States Army veteran, serving in the reserves for three years beginning in July 1956. He followed this with three years of active duty service beginning in July of 1959. He received an honorable discharge on July 18, 1962. He spent part of his time in the service in Europe. At one point, on leave, he and one of his fellow soldiers may have taken an excursion and may have had a brief encounter with some very strong German beer. Or that could just be a rumor.

Daughter De Ann was born at Camp Wolters in Mineral Wells on May 31, 1962, while Curtis was still in the US Army. After completing his military service later that year, the family moved to Fort Worth. Three years later, they moved once again, this time to Irving, Texas, where they have lived since1965. On May 8, 1972, the family welcomed a new addition, son Gregory Brian. They lived in a small house they had bought for several years, but now there was a need for more space. In 1972, Curtis and Martha built the house they still own, moving in on Martha’s birthday that year. The new house provided much needed extra room and was designed to more easily enable mobility for Martha.

In 1967, Curtis joined the Irving Fire Department. He was a firefighter and really loved being a part of the IFD. So much so, that after retiring, he would return from time to time to his former fire stations to visit with and harass the current crop of young fire fighters. I’m sure he told them how superior the fire fighters were in his day. De recalls helping out as an official Fire Hydrant Spotter, riding around town with her parents in those early days as her dad learned the layout of a then much smaller Irving, noting especially the locations of the city’s fire hydrants for future reference. Firemen had to know those things. Curtis retired from the IFD in 1992 with the rank of captain.

Those who knew him would probably agree that he was somewhat injury prone. It seemed he was always getting a cut, a scrape or a bruise or breaking a bone….or two. The last one was a real doozy. Returning home after going out to get some lunch, he dropped the Styrofoam cup he was carrying, slipped on the spilled iced tea, and ended up falling down and shattering his right elbow. Unfortunately, the surgical repairs were not a success and the arm had to be removed from the elbow down. It couldn’t have been the left arm; it’s extremely difficult for a ”righty” to become a “lefty” at the ripe old age of 80.

One thing is certain – family was very important to Grandpa Curtis. De used to talk about the frequent trips to Weatherford to visit grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. Once grandchildren arrived on the scene, they became a big deal. Many were the good times at birthdays, 4th of July, Thanksgiving and Christmas….especially Christmas. The little people were certainly spoiled. Some of the best memories were of breakfasts together on Sunday mornings, generally after church, and for a number of years at Joe’s Coffee Shop. The group kept expanding. With great-grandchildren added to the mix, we took up some space and usually had to wait for a table….or three. The best part, family togetherness. The second best part, Curtis always picked up the check.

Finally, it’s safe to say he had bit of a stubborn streak. Perhaps in part that’s why we’re here. It seems he was determined to live life as he wanted, to do it his way. On balance, over the years, that worked out pretty well. It wasn’t always neat and tidy. Recently, we would have preferred that he stay in his room at the rehab center, wear a mask, avoid contact with other people….follow instructions. But that’s not how he wanted to go about it. He found ways to annoy each of us at one time or another. But we will certainly miss him.

Mr. Dane was preceded in death by parents Burlie and Winona Dane of Weatherford and son Gregory Brian Dane of Irving. He is survived by Martha Dane, his wife of 63 years, daughter De Ann Boyd and husband Brian, sister De Tanner and husband Ed, grand-daughters Audrey Herrington and husband James, Meghan Roten and husband Eric, Meridith Boyd and great grand-children Tuesday and Emerson Herrington, Evelyn, Olivia and Avery Roten and Cadence Kellett.
Read Less

To send flowers to the family or plant a tree in memory of Curtis Elmer Dane, please visit our Heartfelt Sympathies Store.

Sign Up for Notifications

Receive notifications about information and event scheduling for Curtis

Service Details

  • Service

    Monday, May 18th, 2020 | 10:00am
    Monday, May 18th, 2020 10:00am
    East Greenwood Cemetery
    400 E Water St.
    Get Directions: View Map | Text | Email
  • Interment

    East Greenwood Cemetery
    400 E Water St.
    Get Directions: View Map | Text | Email


We encourage you to share your most beloved memories of Curtis here, so that the family and other loved ones can always see it. You can upload cherished photographs, or share your favorite stories, and can even comment on those shared by others.

No video recorded.

Private Condolence
Provide comfort for the family of Curtis Elmer Dane by sending flowers.
Guaranteed hand delivery by a local florist

Dave Holland

Posted at 12:32am
I worked for Captain Dane for about a year at fire station number 2 in 1987. We fought several fires together and I enjoyed every minute. I remember my daughter Haley who is now a Lieutenant in fire prevention with IFD used to call him Captain Grandfather. Here is a picture of Captain Dane on the roof as we were overhauling at a two alarm fire on Wood Oak in South Irving. To the Dane family, I am so sorry for your loss. He will be missed.

De Ann Posted at 10:49pm

Thank you for the photo. That is a good memory of dad. He certainly loved his fire house family.

Max,Sandra ,Traci,Chris and Minnie Taylor

Posted at 06:52pm
With loving memories of "Curtis Dane", We love you Max ,Sandra ,Traci ,Chris ,and Minnie Taylor
Tree Image
A memorial tree was planted in the memory of Curtis Dane — Plant a Tree Now

De Ann Posted at 10:50pm

Mom will love this. Thank you.

Fred Norwood

Posted at 07:15pm
My first time meeting my wife's Uncle Curtis was while visiting his home for a family gathering to watch a Cowboys/Eagles game on TV. Every time Emmitt Smith was handed the ball Curtis would rise from his seat and yell "Come On, Emmitt" at the screen. I decided to start rooting for the Eagles to get a bit of rivalry going in the group but after I made a couple of pro Philadelphia statements Curtis informed me if I kept it up I would need to leave. I thought he was joking but my wife took me aside and told me, "you need to stop it - he's serious." In spite of this rocky start, Curtis and I came to like each other, and I will miss him.
My condolences and prayers go out to Martha Ann and De.

De Ann Posted at 10:52pm

I remember that day. I was really getting nervous about your taunting him. He loved those Cowboys.

Photos & Videos

Photo Album

Upload up to 10 images at a time, max 8MB each
Share by: